In 1878, William Darlington gave Thomas Mellon, owner of the Ligonier Valley Railroad, the rights to use his lands for picnic purposes. In later years, the park developed next to the railroad line thanks to the addition of campgrounds, an artificial lake, picnic tables, and a large hall. The railroad ended in 1951, but the park continued. Kennywood Park Corporation purchased Idlewild in 1983. The park retains that great old-fashioned feeling and presently has several areas including Story Book Forrest, Splash Zone, and wonderful Mister Rogers' Neighborhood of Make-Believe.
©2013 JAR Productions. All rights reserved.