The red metal structure (partially hidden behind one red and green 'reverse bungee jump' support) is the 262-foot tall Parachute Jump. Originally built for the 1939 New York World's Fair, it was moved to its currently location in 1941. Part of the Steeplechase Park, it ceased operation when Steeplechase closed in 1964. Various attempts were made to sell or demolish the ride, but it was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. Several million dollars were spent in the early 2000s to repaint the structure, replace steel structural elements, and add multi-colored lights to the tower. Consideration was given to reopening the ride, but presently the "Eiffel Tower of Brooklyn" remains as just as it has been in the past four decades; the steel tower structure of a defunct ride.
©2012 Joel A. Rogers.