DelGrosso's Amusement Park
(formerly Bland's Park)
Fred Bland opened his family farm to the public in 1907. Bland sold the park to George Rinard in 1928. The 1920s saw the addition of rides, a bowling alley, and a roller skating rink, but by the 1940s, the park had been reduced to a few picnic shelters and only three small rides. Altoona railroader Fred DelGrosso purchased the park in 1946. His seven sons and daughters still operate the park. Fred's wife Murf had been in charge of the park kitchen for 50 of her 80+ years. One of the park's most notable rides is the 1920s Carousel manufactured by the Herschell Spillman Carousel Company.
In 2006, the park acquired for $55,000 the Revolution coaster from the defunct Libertlyland park in Memphis Tennessee. This Arrow coaster has three inversions. It sat in a field for several years, but was never reconstructed.
Two coasters have left the park:
Zyklon (1987-2003) pictured below, was removed to make way for the new Crazy Mouse. It moved to Blue Diamond Park in New Castle, Delaware. Its history included a stint in the 1970s as the Super Italian Bobs at Adventureland Park in Illinois and later as the Sidewinder at Legend City in Phoenix, Arizona.
Little Dipper (1950s-1986) was a Herschell kiddie coaster.
©2011 JAR Productions. All rights reserved.