The Keansburg Amusement Park and adjacent Runaway Rapids Water
Park are about an hour's drive south
of New York City. The park, situated on the south shore of Raritan Bay, opened way back in 1904 when William Gelhaus
purchased a lot on the marshy waterfront in order to build a summer resort. A boardwalk was built and rides soon started
arriving. The park's offices currently reside in a building built in 1914. The park was seriously damaged by
three hurricanes from the 1930s to the 1960s. The park was later
managed by William's son Henry Gelhaus, but Henry sold the park to Grandal Enterprises in 1972. After years of decline and decay,
the park was sold back to the Gelhaus family in 1995. Since then, they have invested heavily in the park with the
addition of a water park, multiple new rides and upgraded facilities.
Keansburg Amusement Park
Keansburg, New Jersey
Two coasters have been removed from this park:
Scenic Railway (1912-1918) was a small wooden coaster.
Jack Rabbit (1919-1930s) was a large wooden coaster designed by John Miller.
JAR Productions. All rights reserved.