This park, named after the lake it sits next to, was called Lake Quassapug from 1908 until 1982. The Native Americans translated Quassapaug as
"Big Pond" or "Big Rock". The park started in 1908 when a Connecticut Trolley Company but a trolley line through Middlebury and Lake Quassapaug became a summer resort. Before the
Great Depression, there were over 1,000 "trolley parks" where families could ride a trolley to the outskirts of town to visit a park.
Quassy is one of about a dozen that remain.
Two coasters have left the park. Wild Mouse (1960-1983) was a Schiff coaster. Mad Mouse (1981-2010) was
a Herschell ride that started inb 1966 as Monster Mouse at New York's Playland Park.
JAR Productions. All rights reserved.