This park, named after the lake it sits next to, was called Lake Quassapaug from 1908 until 1982 when its name was
shortened to just Quassy. The Native Americans translated Quassapaug as
"Big Pond" or "Big Rock". The park started in 1908 when the Connecticut Trolley Company put a trolley line through Middlebury and Lake Quassapaug became a summer resort. Before the
Great Depression, there were over 1,000 "trolley parks" where families could ride a trolley to the outskirts of town to visit a
park. Quassy is one of about a dozen that remain.
Two coasters have left the park. Wild Mouse (1960-1983) was a Schiff coaster. Mad Mouse (1981-2010) was
a Herschell ride that started in 1966 as Monster Mouse at New York's Playland Park.
Quassy Amusement Park
JAR Productions. All rights reserved.