Irondequoit, New York
Seabreeze Amusement Park, which is the fourth oldest operating park in the United States, is just outside of Rochester, New York. It sits on a spot of land where Irondequoit Bay empties into Lake Ontario.
The park opened as Sea Breeze in 1879 as the last stop on the Rochester & Suburban Railway Company steam train line. George Long opened a carousel here in the early 1900s, and his
son, George Long Jr., later purchased the entire park in 1946. The park was renamed Dreamland Park in the 1940s, but when the park passed on
to George Junior's children in the 1970s, they renamed it Seabreeze. The park is still owned and operated by the Long family and their relatives, the
Norris family. A carousel operated here from 1926 until it was destroyed by fire in 1994, but it was replaced by the carousel that is there today.
Seabreeze was home to six coasters that are no longer there:
- Bunny Rabbit (1985-1996) was an Allan Herschell Little Dipper. Before coming to Seabreeze, it was in several locations including
a brief stint as Little D at Race World in Tennessee.
- Figure Eight (1903-1915) was a John A. Miller side-friction coaster.
- Greyhound (1916-1933) was called Dips for its first decade of operation. It was a wood coaster built by T.M. Harton, and it was
damaged by fire in 1933.
- Jack 'n' Jill Scenic (1921-1930) was started as the spinning Virginia Reel until it was damaged by fire in 1924. It was rebuilt and got a new name, but
was burned by another fire in 1931.
- Quantum Loop (1994-2003) was a steel coaster built by the French Soquet company. It has two vertical loops. It now operates as
Double Loop at Salitre Magico in Columbia.
- Wild Cat (1920s-1935) was a wooden PTC ride built in the 1920s. Various reports are that it was either damaged by fire or just condemned in 1935.
JAR Productions. All rights reserved.