The first hill was 93 feet tall. When the coaster opened, the support structure was painted white, the track was red, and the railings were blue. As lumber was replaced over the years and paint peeled off the original wood, the ride was not repainted.
The coaster was named after the 1958 movie titled "Thunder Road" that starred Robert Mitchum. Filmed in the Carolinas, the movie's plot told the story of people running moonshine in the southeast United States. For a few years, the coaster had a fake still near the station, but that disappeared decades ago.
©2020 Joel A. Rogers.