Arnolds Park, Iowa
Mr. W.B. Arnold put a "Shoot the Chutes" ride on his property way back in 1889. In the first decade of the 1900s, he added a few other rides. The park's first coaster, Thriller, was added in the next decade.
While the park weathered wars and depressions, it suffered a few things that nearly closed it. In 1968, a tornado destroyed several of the rides and buildings. The park was closed after the end of the 1987 season, but reopened two years later thanks to the efforts of local residents. And in 1999, a "Save the Park" campaign managed to raise enough money to prevent the park's demolition.
Legend (formerly Giant Coaster)
©2011 JAR Productions. All rights reserved.