In 1903, Milton S. Hershey began construction on what was to become the world's largest chocolate manufacturing plant. He also wanted to create a new community around his factory. Because he was concerned about providing adequate recreation, he built a park that opened on April 24, 1907. Amusement rides, a swimming pool, and a ballroom were added a few years later. Hershey's Park was an ideal spot for picnicking, boating, and canoeing. A carousel was put into operation on July 4, 1908. Soon a 1,500-seat amphitheater opened. The entrance sign read, "Ye who enter here leave dull cares behind." The Hershey Conservatory and Greenhouse opened in February 1910.
The park's name changed from Hershey Park to Hersheypark in 1971. Admission to the park includes access to the 11-acre walk-though ZooAmerica. Adjacent to the park is Hershey's Chocolate World.
The park is currently building Laff Trakk, an indoor, spinning, Wild Mouse built by Maurer Söhne. When it opens in 2015, it will have lots of glowing effects surrounding the coaster, and what is being billed as an "Interactive Fun House" queue.
Five coasters have left the park:
©2014 JAR Productions. All rights reserved.