The Denver and Rio Grand Western Railroad opened Lake Park on the shore of the Great Salt Lake in 1886, but the lake soon receded
and the park ended up being far from the water. Sam Bamberger, owner of the Salt Lake & Ogden Railroad line, purchased most of Lake Park's buildings and moved them
three miles east to Farmington, about 17 miles north of Salt Lake City. Bamberger called the new park Lagoon thanks to its location on a
9-acre lagoon. Lagoon opened in 1896 and the first thrill ride, the Shoot-the-Chutes, opened in 1906. A carousel, built
in 1893, came in 1906 and it still operates there today! The Dancing Pavilion hosted a group of bands in the 1930s and 1940s.
A huge fire destroyed a number of rides in October 1953, but the park was rebuilt. After the fire, the Patio Gardens
featured performances from a variety of artists ranging from Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong, Count Basie and Duke Ellington to Jimi Hendrix,
The Doors, The Rolling Stones and The Beach Boys. Lagoon expanded its live entertainment program in 1982 with its Music USA Theater. The
Lagoon-A-Beach Waterpark arrived in 1989.
Three coasters have left Lagoon:
Little Roller Coaster was a Allen Herschell Company Little Dipper model that ran for many years until the 1980s.
New Wilder Wild Mouse (1973-1989) was a wooden Wild Mouse ride.
Wild Mouse (1965-1971) was also a wooden Wild Mouse.
Colossus the Fire Dragon
Jet Star 2
Puff the Little Fire Dragon
JAR Productions. All rights reserved.