This amusement park was founded by Charles Wood in
1954. It was based on Mother Goose fairy tales and was called Storytown USA.
While elements of this original theming still exist, the park has been expanded to
include activities geared toward grown-ups. Its name changed to the Great
Escape Fun Park in 1983, and the Splashwater Kingdom water park opened in 1995.
Premier Parks, later renamed Six Flags, purchased the properties in 1996.
While Six Flags currently manages Great Escape, they have not officially changed
the park's name to Six Flags Great Escape. The theme park, water park, and adjacent Great
Escape Lodge & Indoor Water Park are located extremely close to Lake George, New
Great Escape & Splashwater Kingdom
Queensbury, New York
Three coasters have left Great Escape:
- Italian Roller Coaster (1971-1988) was a Zyklon or Galaxi model most likely built by Pinfari.
- Nightmare at Crack Axle Canyon (1999-2006) is an indoor
Schwarzkopf. It has been sitting dormant at Great Escape since the
2006 season. (Click picture below for details.)
- A Vekoma SLC was moved here when Six Flags AstroWorld closed, but it just sat from 2005 to 2009 and
never was assembled. It was sent to Montreal and opened in 2010 as Ednör - L'Attaque at La Ronde.
Boomerang Coast to Coaster
Frankie's Mine Train (Formerly Road Runner Express)
Nightmare at Crack Axle Canyon
JAR Productions. All rights reserved.